Lessons Learned From My 100 Year Old Grandma
Today is my Grandma’s 100th Birthday! Last Sunday, we celebrated with cake and ice
cream. Her remaining children and
siblings were there along with many of her grandchildren and great
grandchildren. It was fun to look back
at old photographs and reminisce.
In Grandma’s 100 years this world has changed greatly. Instead of family farms we now have factory
farms and GMO’s. The number of cars on
the road, the size of cities, and the height of high-rise buildings must seem
baffling. Cell phones, computers, and
the internet have changed how we communicate and interact with each other. Medical advances, birth control, feminism,
globalization….the changes keep on coming.
Grandma, however, has stayed pretty much the same over the years because
her life has been shaped by the era in which she was born and her conservative
Mennonite beliefs. She has never had a
TV, let alone a cell phone or computer.
And the radio was only used at noon on weekdays so you could listen to
the farm markets and death announcements.
She has lived a simple life yet one that I can find many lessons
in.
My Grandmother was an environmentalist even before we knew
what environmentalists were. She has
made “reduce, reuse, and recycle” into an art form. Plastic bags and tin foil were carefully
inspected and, if deemed acceptable, the bags and bits of tin foil were careful
washed and hung to dry so they could be used again. Plastic yoghurt containers were kept to
freeze or send leftovers home with lucky loved ones. My Grandpa loved to garden, so every summer
and fall Grandma canned everything into her reusable glass mason jars. Newspapers were carefully stacked and used to
light the woodstove in the basement.
Organic waste was taken out to the compost pile or fed to the livestock. Under Grandma’s watchful eye very little made
it into the garbage.
As a child I spent a lot of time at Grandma and Grandpa’s as
they lived on a corner of our farm. Whenever
we were at Grandma’s we knew that we had to behave or Grandma would begin to
sing to us. Regretably, Grandma sang
to us a lot! If my cousins and I were
arguing over a game in the living room, Grandma’s voice could be heard from the
kitchen, “Children be kind to each other….”
She would sing and that would be our cue to settle down and be nice to
one another. Grandma never yelled and
never spanked although she would occasionally scold. “Andrea!” she would say to convey her
surprise at my words or actions. Grandma’s
lessons in kindness by singing to us is something all her Grandchildren
remember but, unfortunately, we only really remember that one line from the
song!
Grandma is an excellent cook and everything was
homemade. Meals at her house were
legendary! Roast chicken (which we had
all helped to butcher in the fall), mashed potatoes, gravy, salads, homemade
buns and rolls, and all the pie and cookies you could eat all washed down with
cups of apple juice and hot peppermint tea. I have yet to find an elderberry
pie as delicious as hers and believe me I have tried. Because she was such an accomplished cook,
she was a great resource as I learned to cook.
I remember her helping me make a batch of salsa at her house because I
had never done any canning by myself.
She told me how to boil water and to pour over the tomatoes to crack the
skins so they would peel easy. And then,
even though my recipe did not mention it, it she said that we should also
remove the seeds “so the product would look better.” You always learnt something cooking with
Grandma!
Thinking back on all the wonderful meals Grandma has made
for me brings to mind her favourite saying, “Everything in moderation.” I definitely did not follow her motto when
she was cooking me dinner! Grandma could
apply her motto to just about anything.
Food, exercise, work, play, naps….
Everything was good for you as long as it was done in moderation.
Whenever you would visit Grandma and Grandpa’s you would
always be offered some of Grandma’s homemade cookies. I have come to believe that a homemade cookie
can fix almost anything. If you are sad,
go see Grandma for a cookie. If you are
lonely, go see Grandma for a cookie. If
you are bored, go see Grandma for a cookie.
And sometimes, if I was hungry, I would even go see Grandma for a
cookie. The list is endless of what one
of her cookies could fix. Of course the
cookies were also offered with a hug and a dose of her cheerful outlook. Her cookie jar was always full, literally and
metaphorically speaking!
I am glad that I grew up living close to my Grandparents. I am grateful for the many lessons that they
both taught me. Being able to visit
almost anytime I wanted to, even for short periods of time, was a gift. They were an island of peace, love, and
acceptance in the turbulent waters of my youth.
So thank you and Happy Birthday, Grandma!
Comments
Post a Comment