Dear Prime Minister Trudeau: What are You Doing to Ensure Canada Does Not End up like the United States?
Dear Prime Minister Trudeau,
I just wanted to let
you know that I am concerned about the fate of our country. As a Canadian who has been unable to look
away from the train wreck that is Trump in the United States, I am wondering
what you are doing to protect us from something like that happening here in
Canada.
For instance. You have recently apologized to the LGBTQ2
population on behalf of all Canadians (which I whole-heartedly approve of) but
how can we be sure that these gains will not be rolled back? Mr. Scheer, the leader of the Conservative
Party, opposes gay marriage and voted against Bill C-16 which would expand the
Canadian Human Rights Act to protect against discrimination based on gender
identity and expression. I worry that
the Conservatives, if elected, will roll back the gains that LGBTQ2 and others have
made in recent years. What protections
can be implemented to prevent that from happening?
One of the biggest problems in the American election was the
role that social media played. Twitter
allowed Russian bots to spread propaganda and permitted users to violate their
Terms of Service by ganging up on people they disagreed with and essentially
bully them. Bots participated in a new
form of cyber warfare by targeting people and spreading false information. Threats of death, rape and other harm were
ignored by Twitter. In one case, I even
heard of someone whose account was locked by Twitter for several days
retweeting something the President tweeted although the President escaped all
censure. Also, it is said that almost
half of President Trump’s Twitter followers are fake accounts.
Facebook also had their problems as they allowed Russian
bought ads to be seen in the United States, thereby letting Russian propaganda affect
the outcome of the election. While
Facebook says the exact number of people affected by this propaganda is not
known, estimates keep rising. We now
know that millions of people saw these lies on their news-feed. Prime Minister, it is clear that these
companies are putting profits ahead of truth and fairness and, without
government intervention, will not fix these problems. What is the government doing to prevent
social media from unduly influencing our elections?
Also, is the CRTC prepared to deal with the demands of new
technology? Is it able to make and
maintain policies and practices that result in a fair and unfettered internet? Net
neutrality is important in that citizens can communicate and share ideas on an
equal footing without interference from corporations. Also imperative to a free and transparent
democracy is a press that is free and open to present the news in an unbiased
manner. Mr. Prime Minister, how can we
reduce the amount of fake news being spread by mainstream media and also on
social media?
Trumps “Make America Great Again” slogan was a dog whistle
to White Supremacists. Since his election,
there has been an increase in hate crimes.
White Supremacists feel comfortable to openly defend their hateful views
about people of colour, Jews, immigrants, LGBTQ2 persons, and women. In Canada,
Andrew Scheer’s election as leader of the Conservative Party is seen by some as
a victory for the far right. During the
Conservative leadership race, the Canadian Values Test proposed by MP Kellie
Leitch raised concerns for many Canadians. In the Ontario PC leadership race white
nationalist Paul Fromm endorsed Tanya Granic Allen. Are
Canada’s hate laws strict enough and strong enough to prevent hate from
spreading here, Prime Minister Trudeau?
I am a proud Canadian citizen. And, while I don’t always agree with your
position, I have been happy with your leadership so far. I am proud when Americans wish they had a
leader like you. That is why I think it
is imperative that we look at the laws and policies that safeguard our Canadian
democracy and see if any changes need to be made to make it stronger. Canada is a beautiful, diverse, ever changing
country and the love I feel for our country makes me want to protect that. I hope our Prime Minister feels the same way.
Respectfully,
Andrea Green Seip
Comments
Post a Comment