I Don’t Want to Vote Liberal. But…
I really don’t want to vote for Kathleen Wynne and the
Ontario Liberals this June. The Liberals
have been in power too long in this Province and I truly believe that it is
time for a change in leadership.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that there are any good options. Especially since Doug Ford has just been
elected leader of the Ontario Provincial Conservatives in a whirlwind
leadership race and a close and messy vote.
Roughly half of the PC party members who voted do not think Ford will
make a good leader and a recent poll suggests that 48% of Ontarians feel the
same way.
One reason I cannot bring myself to vote for Doug Ford is
because of Donald Trump. As a polarizing
figure with a populist platform, Doug Ford represents himself as
anti-establishment, anti-intelligence and anti-elitist even though he comes
from family money; just as Trump does.
While Ford tries to distance himself from the comparisons to Donald
Trump, some of his supporters have been tweeting out the hashtag #MOGA or Make
Ontario Great Again. Others have called
the PC party the “GOP of Canada” as their ideals have gone so far right. We have seen what the United States has become
under Donald Trump as President. I would prefer to have an intelligent,
thoughtful, compassionate, and articulate leader for the Premier of Ontario.
Some in the media are suggesting that Doug Ford may govern
as a moderate. Yet issues such as
abortion and the sex education curriculum have already been raised. I fear that he may take a page out of Trump’s
playbook and campaign on a more moderate platform but then govern as a radical. Lying, hypocrisy, serving special interest
groups, and government waste seem to be the norm in politics leaving many
voters unsure of who they can trust already.
And, as we have seen with Trump, voting for a leader does not mean they
are going to keep their campaign promises.
As a child my mother often counselled me to choose my
friends carefully because I did not want to be found “guilty by association”. Her words of wisdom must have stuck as I
can’t bring myself to vote for Doug Ford because of his brother Rob. As the former Mayor of Toronto, who has since
passed away, Rob Ford was embroiled in scandal and made himself, and by
association the City of Toronto, the laughing stock of the media in Canada and
abroad. Drinking, drugs, and gang
members plagued Mayor Ford throughout his term.
I have observed how a Ford in power behaves and I didn’t like it. That experience is enough to make me say
never again. And no, I won’t give him a
chance to grow into his position. Many
people said the same thing about Donald Trump.
But Trump the candidate is just like Trump the President. We, the people
of Ontario, deserve better.
His platform is another reason why I will not be voting for
Ford. During the leadership campaign his
main talking points were to keep taxes low, attract more business to the
Province, and to reject the federally imposed carbon tax. While we will likely
hear more about how he will implement these policies in the weeks leading up to
the election, details are few at this point.
Especially worrisome is how he will cancel the cap and trade contracts
as some suggest it could cost Ontario billions in penalties to do so. I understand that no one wants to raise taxes
to protect the environment but at what point do we start implementing changes
to protect it before it starts costing us even more money to deal with the
consequences of climate change?
The election results were barely in before Doug Ford started
talking about abortion and the public school sex education curriculum. We have had the abortion debate and women
need to be able to make their own choices about their bodies in consultation
with their doctors. Period. And keeping
children in the dark about sex and all the issues that goes with it is not
empowering, healthy, or fair to them.
Children and teens need information and to know what possible
consequences there may be for their decisions.
Learning about LGBTQ2 issues in a positive environment may make LGBTQ2
children feel recognized and included, leading to a better state of mental
health for them. In my humble opinion it is misogynistic men who are vested in
keeping their power and the patriarchy alive that try to control women and
children through their bodies.
One last reason why I will not vote for Doug Ford is because
I feel the Progressive Conservative party lost an opportunity to be
progressive. There were three women
running for leader of the party and yet they elected the one male who ran. Christine Elliott, a long time, well known MPP
with experience was taking her third run at the leadership. Yet the PC’s went with the usual (an older,
white male) effectively maintaining the status quo.
I will be watching the run up to the provincial election
carefully. I will be educating myself on
each party’s platform and watching how the leaders preform. I will be looking
for an alternative to the Liberals, but, unfortunately, I already know it will
not be the PC’s.
Comments
Post a Comment